Had this REALLY annoying toolbar popup in Safari today called Softonic.
I was looking for a quick and easy graphic utility and I discovered Paintbrush for Mac. Which is a basic graphic / drawing app like Windows Paint but for Mac Systems. It’s a freebie too which I like 🙂 But the installer comes with an extra application which is a browser toolbar called Softonic.
Now don’t get me wrong – this may be useful piece of software, but the fact that it installs itself without giving me a choice and then makes it darn difficult to remove, makes me kinda mad and immediately makes me NOT want to use any of the services it provides.
As soon as I fired up Safari – there it was, right at the top of my browser, taunting me! So I looked for the uninstall program, which I presumed was the option under the softonic button called ‘uninstall’ – but noooooo that’s just a web link to a set of uninstall instructions for Windows! No mention of the Mac software!
So I started googling and found all kind of entries offering different methods of removal – all of which failed. I presume this is because they were referring to older versions of the software?
Anyway in the end I made it my mission to rid my system of this nasty stuff and then to post my solution for anyone else suffering with the removal of it.
Anyway here are my instructions:
How to Remove Softonic Toolbar from Mac OS X
- Open finder
- Search for softonic – you should find a folder called Softonic
- Double-click on the folder (it will complain about Aliases – ignore them)
- In there is an unistall app – run it and Softonic will be removed from your system, including that annoying Alert icon in the Menu Bar at the top of your screen.
- Now go into Firefox (if you have installed)
- Tools -> Add-Ins and remove Softonic from there too.
Now your system should be nice and clean again.